Learning2gether Episode #331
On Sunday May 8 Learning2gether participated in an EVO Symposium at the 8th Virtual Round Table Web Conference. The event took place in the Adobe Connect room Arthur and was livestreamed on http://original.livestream.com/letstalkonline, where many recordings can be found. Vance Stevens organized the event on behalf of EVO
- Vance Stevens
- Marijana Smolčec
- Nellie Deutsch
- Elizabeth Anne
- Nina Liakos
- Ann Nowak
- Helena Galani
From the program overview and list of recordings here
- Recording (1h 30min plus some of the break):
- Vance Stevens is co-ordinator since 2003 and co-moderator of EVO Minecraft MOOC (2015-2016), MultiMOOC (2009-2014), Webheads in Action (2002). He is an EFL teacher in Al Ain, founder of Webheads in Action, EVO coordinator since 2002, coordinator of Learning2gether, and On the Internet editor for TESL-EJ where he and co-moderators co-authored an article on Minecraft and Language Learning.
- Nina Liakos has been head co-ordinator of EVO, 2013-2015
- 14:15 Marijana Smolčec – Co-ordinator and co-moderator of EVO Minecraft MOOC. Marijana has been an EFL teacher for 14 years at Gimnazija Bernardina Frankopana. She is a proud Webhead and has been in EVO since 2011, eTwinning group moderator, project coordinator, avid user of web 2.0 tools,co-author of TESL-EJ article Minecraft and Language Learning, passionate about teaching Edtech, a mom, and a wife.
- 14:30 Mbarek Akaddar – Lead co-ordinator of EVO, 2015-2017
- 14:45 Elizabeth Anne – Co-ordinator and mentor
- 15:00 Helena Galani and Ann Nowak – EVO Games
We crowd-sourced our slides here:
Our EVO panel planning document is here:
For a rough program outline, see:
- or as http://tinyurl.com/vrtwebcon16
- And anyone with this link can view
- Facebook Groups
- Learning with Computers https://www.facebook.com/groups/6577061586/
- TAEdTech Sig https://www.facebook.com/groups/TAEdTech/
- Multiliteracies https://www.facebook.com/groups/evomlit/
- Webheads in Action
- Learning2gether https://www.facebook.com/groups/learning2gether/
- Google+ Communities Announcements
- EdTech Mojo
- Teachers for Interactive Language Learning (TILL)
- Web 2.0 Teaching and Learning
- EdTech Mojo
The panel was part of the Friday through Sunday
Heike Philp hosted her 8th Virtual Round Table Web Conference, 6-8 May 2016.
Paul Driver will do the opening keynote at 11pm GMT on Friday May 6. Other keynotes include Russell Stannard, Dr. Cynthia Calogne, Joe Dale, and Nik Peachey.
Mbarek Akaddar, Nina, Liakos, Nellie Deutsch, Elizabeth Anne, Marijana Smolcec, Helena Galani, Ann Nowak, and Vance Stevens comprise a panel on EVO (Electronic Village Online) at 1400 UTC Sunday May 8. And there are some three dozen presentations and panels besides over the three days, well worth checking out.
Time: May 6, 2016 to May 8, 2016
Location: Room Arthur Adobe Connect
Organized By: Heike Philp
8th Virtual Round Table Web Conference
6-8 May 2016 (Fri-Sun)
Adobe Connect Room Arthur (max. 100)
Livestream (the sky is the limit)
The Virtual Round Table is an annual free web conference for language educators on language learning technologies.
The following is an overview of the program.
- 10:30am GMT Welcome address
- 11am OPENING KEYNOTE Paul Driver
- 12pm GMT LTSIG Symposium with Marisa Constantinides
- 2pm GMT GAMES Symposium with Ed Russel and Nora Choperena
- 5pm GMT ONLINE CORPUS Symposium with Leo Selivan
- 7pm GMT ELTons Symposium with Sirin Soyoz and Waleed
- 1pm GMT MOOC Symposium with Anna Rolinska
- 3pm GMT VIDEO Symposium with Russell Stannard
- 4pm GMT KEYNOTE Russell Stannard
- 5pm GMT DIGITAL PUBLISHING symposium with Randi Harlev
- 7pm GMT TELECOLLABORATION symposium with Theresa McKinnon
- 10pm GMT IMMERSIVE WORLD Symposium with Helena Galani and Ann Nowak
- 12am KEYNOTE Dr. Cynthia Calogne
- 9am KEYNOTE Joe Dale
- 2pm EVO Symposium with Vance Stevens
- 4pm Techno-CLIL Symposium with Letizia Cignanotto
- 6pm Closing KEYNOTE Nik Peachey
The VRT WebCon crowd is not a silent crowd. We love the sharing spirit of everyone, not just the presenters.
This year we want to compile some Top 10 lists and need your input. If you want to help crowd source the following, then please….
- For the Top 10 language games, please join the Games Symposium
- For the Top 10 Apps, come join the App Swap Jam session
- Top 10 MOOCs? Top 10 digital publishing tool? Top 10 fun …. Oh yes!
About Virtual Round Table Web Conference
The VRT conference has 5 keynotes: Paul Driver, Russell Stannard, Dr. Cynthia Calogne, Joe Dale and Nik Peachey.
An open invitation
A list of individual sessions in date order
Program Overview with links to the individual session description.
Earlier this week
Sun Apr 24 Learning2gether episode 330 – EVOMC16 presents on Minecraft and the gamification of teacher and student learning at SLMOOC16
Here’s SMORE: https://www.smore.com/z6bna
SLMOOC16 – Created with Haiku Deck, presentation software that inspires;
Global Leadership Week takes place April 25th through April 29th. If you haven’t checked out the site for this, please visit http://www.globaledleadership.com. Follow all the Twitter action around the event using the hashtag #globaled16.
Here’s what you need to know about GLW:
- Schools, companies, and organizations are hosting events designed to encourage global action through leadership and you can join in these online activities: http://www.globaledleadership.com/join-an-event.html. This is a great opportunity to showcase collaboration and the work of your school or organization.
- Anyone can still host an event. Directions and ideas are listed here. There is no deadline.
- The GEC is hosting two major events within Global Leadership Week featuring invited speakers. One is the Global Leadership Summit at Edmodo on April 25th and the Global Leadership Day mini-conference on April 26th.
- The Global Leadership Summit is a face-to-face event and will also be streamed in YouTube. If you are in the Bay Area in California, you are welcome to attend the summit in person … we have only a few seats left. (Do not register unless you can actually be in Calfornia!)
- Global Leadership Day will be taking place in Blackboard Collaborate from 12 PM to 4 PM PST on April 26th.
Global Leadership Week is brought to you by people and organizations who believe in the power of globally connected learning. Our sponsors are VIF International Education, Edmodo, Google, TES, the Wonderment, iEARN-USA, the Global Campaign for Education – US Chapter, and Otus.The support of these groups allows us to bring our series of GlobalEd Events to you free of charge.
Global Leadership Week (GLW) is a weeklong celebration of leadership through global action in K-20 education taking place April 25-29, 2016. GLW is an opportunity for global education leaders to learn from one another and share effective principles in leadership, particularly within the context of an interconnected, global age.
During Global Leadership Week, leaders in schools, universities, non-profit organizations, and corporations will design and host virtual events to showcase thought leadership. The global education community at large can choose to participate in these online activities by browsing event listings on the GLW website.
During GLW, the Global Education Conference (GEC) Network will be hosting two major events. First is the Global Leadership Summit is an invitational, face-to-face convening at Edmodo’s headquarters in San Mateo, California on April 25th. Additionally, the GEC is producing the Global Leadership Day virtual conference on April 26th which will feature thought leaders at all levels. These events will be streamed and recorded for the public; subsequent recordings will be used as living artifacts to continually inspire leaders. All events will be free of charge to attendees.
The education public can actively participate in any of the following ways:
This event is brought to you by people and organizations who believe in the power of globally connected teaching and learning. GLW is organized by the Global Education Conference Network, Flat Connections, GlobalEdLeader, Global Oneness Project, iEARN-USA, the Learning Revolution Project, and VIF International Education. Our generous sponsors are VIF International Education, Edmodo, Google, TES, the Wonderment, iEARN-USA, the Global Campaign for Education – US Chapter, and Otus.
Posted by Steve Hargadon
Visit Classroom 2.0 at: http://www.classroom20.com/?xg_source=msg_mes_network
Mon May 2 Blab Teacher PD Chat with Benjamin Stewart and Tyson Seburn
Mon May 2 Programming Computercraft Turtles with Minecraft Edu
Hang on to your shovels, Miners! VSTE’s VE PLN Minecraft Monday is going to be very special this month!
Monday, May 2 at 8 PM Eastern time
please join the VSTE VE PLN community on Google+
All future updates will be posted as comments on the event for tonight.
The server we’ll be connecting to is hypergrid.ninja
Blake (Techplex Engineer) will do an introduction to programming Computercraft turtles with Minecraft edu.
We’ll be exploring Turtle Island which was created by Mike Harvey to introduce students to ComputerCraft EDU Beginner turtles. We’ll start by checking out the Turtle Museum and discussing the capabilities of the turtles. Depending on time we might be able to embark on the Navigation challenge in which users learn to use the Turtle Remote Control to move through an obstacle course with their turtles.
Please download the Minecraft EDU Client (this is different than the Minecraft EDU Hosting client) here:http://techplex.io/mcedu/mcedu_student_client.zip
Once downloaded simply unzip the file and run the program by double clicking on the Launcher.jar
On Mac computers you may receive a warning “Launcher can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.” Simply right click the Launcher.jar and choose open.
This Hangout on Air is an open discussion about unleashing the power of the Google Apps for Education to create a site with integrated Google Apps for an intranet solution. If teachers do less admin, they can focus on their students’ learning and become better version of themselves! I have invited people who, I think, are moonshot thinkers and can really contribute and amplifying each others’ ideas. Looking forward to collaborating with you!
Sat May 7 Classroom 2.0 with Todd Nesloney and Adam Welcome on the #KidsDeserveIt initiative
|We are so proud to be able to have Todd Nesloney and Adam Welcome with us as our special guest presenters on Saturday, May 7th, to share some exciting updates about the #KidsDeserveIt initiative and their passions as elementary principals related to teaching and learning! Some of the things they’ll be talking about are ways to eliminate excuses, ways to encourage and inspire students, ideas for connecting with others, and their experiences with ways to challenge conventional thinking.
Todd Nesloney is the Principal/Lead Learner of Webb Elementary in Navasota, TX. He is the 2015 Bammy Award Recipient for Elementary Principal and the 2014 Award Winner for Classroom Teacher of the Year, the TCEA Teacher of the Year for 2014, a White House Champion of Change, a National School Board Association “20 to Watch”, and Center for Digital Education “Top 40 Innovators in Education”. Todd is the author of children’s book “Spruce & Lucy” and the co-author of the Award Winning Book, “Flipping 2.0”. He is also the co-host of the popular education podcast series “EduAllStars” and “Kids Deserve It”.
Adam Welcome is the Principal of Montair Elementary School in Danville, CA. He is a marathon runner, a workshop fan, and a husband and father to two children. He serves on the Remind Advisory Board and is the ASCA Principal of the Year. Adam is also the co-host of the podcast series “Kids Deserve It”
More information and session details are at http://live.classroom20.com. If you’re new to the Classroom 2.0 LIVE! show you might want to spend a few minutes viewing the screencast on the homepage to learn how we use Blackboard Collaborate, and navigate the site. Each show begins at 12pm Eastern (GMT-5) and may be accessed in Blackboard Collaborate directly using the following Classroom 2.0 LIVE! link at http://tinyurl.com/cr20live. All webinars are closed captioned.
On the Classroom 2.0 LIVE! site (http://live.classroom20.com) you’ll find the recordings and Livebinder from our recent“STEM, PBL, and Technology Integration: STEMtastic Ideas for Everyone” session with Mike Gorman. Click on theArchives and Resources tab.
Classroom 2.0 LIVE Team: Peggy George, Lorie Moffat, Tammy Moore, Paula Naugle, Steve Hargadon
Visit Classroom 2.0 at: http://www.classroom20.com/?xg_source=msg_mes_network