Learning2gether Episode 40
(There is no MP3 recording for this session; the Adobe Connect recording is available, below)
- For this session we’ll meet at Webheads HQ in Edunation (SLURLhttp://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/EduNation/49/179/23). There we’ll be briefly introduced to
- Then we’ll move as a group via teleport to any sites that participants want to show us. If you want to be teleported, add me as a friend in Second Life: Webhead Link.
- Participants we think might attend
- Gwen Gwasi (Heike)
- Kalyan Chattopadhyay
- LyseBrie (Ellen)
- Osnacantab (Dennis)
- Randall Renoir (Sadler)
- Webhead Link (Vance)
More info on the Edunation islands http://edunation-islands.wikispaces.com
Where: 15:00 GMT (note, later time than usual, 7 pm in UAE);
Learning2gether Episode 39
Kalyan Chattopadhyay’s presentation online at IATEFL Brighton – m-learning in TESOL, how far is it feasible in India? took place Monday, April 18 2011 | 3:30 PM (GMT Standard Time).
Learning2gether Episode 38
Sunday, April 17. 2011 –
How do you close the screen shares you no longer want? We never did figure it out, but that’s what the lines are @#!?
BigMarker is free software running online that lets participants display voice and video, share screens, and of course text chat with one another. It has two modes, meeting space and presenter. Today we try out a meeting space created for Webheads to hang out in. No password is required to join in, but please wear a headset (your mic will activate automatically). I don’t think it has a recording mode; we may have to make a screencast. The room is available for common use by anybody at any time 24/7. And anyone who can read a capcha can create his or her own room at http://bigmarker.com. Thanks and acknowledgement to Nik Peachey for the tip on this space, yet another illustration of how knowledge disseminates through a PLN.
When and where:
Screenshots (we didn’t bother screencasting our fumbling about learning this new software 😉
Saturday, April 16, 2011
Vance Stevens presents Transforming learning with creative technogogy: Achieving the aha! moment, live from Ras Al Khaimah, UAE
- with help from online colleagues in various regions of the UAE
- and with a possible live hookup from Brighton, where they will be getting ready for their first presentation of the day at the IATEFL Conference taking place there.
TESOL Arabia is very active in the UAE, with chapters in various cities frequently putting on professional development events such as the one in the flyer at left. However, the UAE is a large country, with several hours driving time required between its major cities. As a result it is often not possible for many teachers in the UAE to attend these fine events in regions not their own.
One purpose of this presentation is to suggest alternative means for teachers in the UAE to connect with one another via their chapter events. This presentation will attempt to demonstrate how teachers in various parts of the UAE can present to one another online and not only that, but include participants from other parts of the world as well. It is hoped to suggest by extrapolation that teachers familiar with tools making this possible could also use them to engage students in meaningful and authentic communication with peers elsewhere in the UAE and worldwide.
- The presentation will be an echo from my blog post here http://advanceducation.blogspot.com/2011/03/transforming-learning-with-creative.html, applying the concepts through engagement with an active PLN or personal learning network.
- Audience participation includes:
- Broadcast of the presentation via Elluminate to a live audience who could interact with the one in RAK via my projected laptop with mic and speakers, or directly with on-site participants txting from workstations
- Nik Peachey, Graham Stanley, Ayat from Egypt, and Anthony Gaughan have offered to join us from the IATEFL conference in Brighton (see http://iatefl.britishcouncil.org/2011/forum/welcomeintroductions); and we can also monitor their Twitter feeds and converse with them through #hashtags
- Live interaction with other TA chapters (Jim Buckingham and Heather Baba have offered to join from distanct emirates)
- Live interaction with others invited to tune in across various PLN’s of educators interested in using educational technology with language learners; e.g. Kalyan Chattopadhyay, IndiaCALL
- As a result of exposure to this instance of transformative learning through creative technogogy I’m hoping that some might achieve that aha! moment. In that case they might be encouraged to learn more through participation in further connectivist professional development via http://taedtech.ning.com, http://webheads.info andhttp://learning2gether.pbworks.com
When? 07:00 GMT (11 am in UAE, 8 am in Brighton ), at this time:
Where? in Elluminate
Sunday, April 10, 2011
Beyza Yilmaz, Isil Boy, and some of their colleagues will share with us their impressions of the recent ISTEK conference in Istanbul April 1-2, 2011.
Special guest: Nik Peachey http://technogogy.org.uk/pres.pdf
When and where: 17:30 GMT (note, later time than usual, 9:30 pm in UAE) in Elluminate
Sunday, April 3, 2011
James Buckingham hosts the event ‘Innovate Using Educational Technology and Your Beliefs – Nicholas Yates’ on TESOL Arabia – Education Technology – Special Interest Group Ning, http://taedtech.ning.com
Join us online at 5pm (in UAE, 1300 GMT) when Nicholas Yates introduces us to the importance of “beliefs” and how they impact on our instructional design and use of technology in the classroom.
More information and follow-up: