Learning2gether Episode 242
Extending your Hangouts on Air to engage participants in the stream as well as the ten in the Hangout
Moderator training on Google+ Hangouts on Air
Nina Liakos and Vance Stevens hosted this HoA with only seven or eight live participants, but there were several who participated via the stream and engaged the live participants in an ongoing dialog which you can see at http://chatwing.com/vancestev
The embedded stream from YouTube is now our recording of the event
- You can find a slightly edited version of the text chat here: http://evo-training.pbworks.com/w/page/88049629/Chatlog_Oct26_2014_HOA
- Live events from EVO Training 2015 are indexed here: http://evo-training.pbworks.com/w/page/86426077/Live%20Events
- Archived on Worldbridges as well:
- See also:
Those who wanted to join the HoA live were able to find its direct URL posted in the wiki spaces where they were told to go to access the chat.
- Listen to and view the stream in the video embed or on YouTube http://youtu.be/C8rELPDOjPM
- Chat with us in the HoA while viewing the stream, at http://chatwing.com/vancestev
If you want to be IN the HoA you should check the social media sites such as http://webheadsinaction.org/live for the direct link from about half an hour before 1400 as I’ll post it there and wait for people to populate it. Find the direct link, click on it, and you’re in. If you’re not among the first ten you can listen to the stream and interact in the text chat and if we know you’re there we’ll try to make room for you in the HoA.
To understand better what this was about, please read, or at least look at the pictures, in these open educational resources:
- Stevens, V. (2013). Tweaking Technology: How Communities Meet Online Using Google+ Hangouts On Air with Unlimited Participants. TESL-EJ, Volume 17, Number 3, pp. 1-16. Available: http://tesl-ej.org/pdf/ej67/int.pdf (also at http://www.tesl-ej.org/wordpress/issues/volume17/ej67/ej67int/).
- From slide #11 onwards here
For an example of how this works in practice, see http://webheadsinaction.org/live
From the Google+ event page:
- Google+ communities:
- Webheadsinaction, https://plus.google.com/communities/114550321376936920900
- Learning2gether, https://plus.google.com/communities/109504049211076695836
- EdTech Mojo, https://plus.google.com/communities/110130856353339654958
- MultiMOOC, https://plus.google.com/communities/104523567430842485789
- Intergrating CALL with Web 2.0 and Social Media, https://plus.google.com/communities/112312474779630822736
- Teachers for Interactive Language Learning (TILL) https://plus.google.com/communities/106289715383230353120
- Web 2.0 Teaching and Learning https://plus.google.com/communities/112197420264775820915
- Facebook Groups:
- Learning2gether, https://www.facebook.com/groups/learning2gether/
- TAEdTech, https://www.facebook.com/groups/TAEdTech/
- Multiliteracies, https://www.facebook.com/groups/evomlit/
- Webheads, https://www.facebook.com/groups/webheadsinaction/
- Learning with Computers, https://www.facebook.com/groups/6577061586/
Sun Oct 19 David Winet demonstrated Popupchinese.com
First synchronous meeting of EVO2015 moderators and coordinators
Webheads virtual office at Blackboard Collaborate
Thanks to an ongoing grant from http://www.learningtimes.com/
IATEFL Events are free for all to attend (get a free ticket at the link above) but archives are of some accessible only to registered IATEFL members
The conference program can be downloaded here:
Anyone can access recordings of sessions which will be available to IATEFL members and non members until Wednesday 22 October, 2014. After that they will be only available to IATEFL members. Links to the recordings and handouts will be published on this web page so please keep checking back for updates.
More information on IATEFL SIG Webinars http://www.iatefl.org/web-events/sig-webinars
IATEFL Webinars are free for anyone to join, but recordings are normally available only to IATEFL members
Recording of ELTLive#7
- posted at: http://eltlive.com/show/elt-live-questions-future-elts
- On YouTube: http://youtu.be/QKgpGPD_8Hs
Brainstorming Google Doc:
Connecting with +Benjamin L. Stewart and his Applied Linguistics students at Universidad Autónoma de Aguascalientes (along with other future teachers out there) to discuss questions they have for experienced ELT’s.
A Google Doc is set up a http://bit.ly/1w68hRp for the purpose of brainstorming questions from students and advice from teaching vets. All are welcome to contribute.
Fri Oct 24 1600 GMT Opening of Build Your Teaching Business Online: free MOOC from Jason Levine and Sylvia Guinan
- October 24: Opening Ceremony
- October 27-November 16: Guest presentations
- November 17-23: Learning to use the virtual classroom
- November 24-30: Learning to create a course
- December 1-7: Course creation
- December 8-21 Course presentations
Saturday Oct 25 2000 GMT EVO Moderator Training Weekly Wrap-up Week 1, Session 1
Live events from EVO Training 2015 are indexed here: http://evo-training.pbworks.com/w/page/86426077/Live%20Events
The 2014 conference will run from Oct. 20-31. (Pre-conference keynote Oct. 13.) This is a FREE, online, asynchronous conference organized by educators for educators around the world interested in integrating emerging technologies into classroom practice. A goal of the conference is to help educators make sense of and meet the needs of a continually changing learning landscape.
- K12 Online Conference
- Google+ Community page: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/108380510569390447577
Presentations released so far
- Dr. Wesley Fryer, Igniting Innovation in Teaching and Learning, http://youtu.be/_q2dThmwg0s
Upcoming presentations listed here: http://k12onlineconference.org/?p=2429
As in past years, our conference is organized into four strands. Each strand has an invited keynote speaker and additional selected speakers.
Strands for 2014 are:
Week of Oct 20 – 24: Stories for Learning and Games and Gamification
Week of Oct 27 – 31: Passion Driven Learning and STEAM