Learning2gether Episode 288
On Sunday August 23 Learning2gether met online with Jim Buckingham and Tony Waterman, teachers at Zayed University in UAE and at a defense academy in Muscat, Oman, respectively, to talk about innovation and mindset in teacher professional development and about Jim’s proposal that TESOL Arabia take on board his proposal for an online PD tutorials project.
Where? Google+ Hangout on Air – You could
- Join the conversation at the Google+ event page: https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/ch2859u8if7rpcuhee0isc77vlc
- Listen to the recordings
- The Webheadsinaction.org event is archived here:
Here are Jim’s notes on his proposal for the TESOL Arabia Online PD Tutorials Project
Pursuing ISTE Seal of Alignment
Jim has made contact with ISTE Standards – Senior Project Manager Mindy Frisbee to learn more about how any online programs or resources that we might realize could be awarded an ISTE Seal of Alignment. The idea of pursuing this is driven by a desire to have our work “internationally recognized” so that it has greater credibility in the eyes of both TESOL Arabia members AND those of us who will help realize these. By addressing such standards, we should gain some much valued and highly relevant PD.
An online, asynchronous “co-development consultancy” workshop is proposed to help realize this. Details on all of this can be found in this Google folder – https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8r1jrc3n6aifmZ5dF9jQjBTc1JMcXVnbGtSMUhOMTVEMTdKSWp5cnhrdkdLSzRwTXNBN2s&usp=sharing
- ISTE Seal of Alignment – Program Benefits
- ISTE Seal of Alignment – flyer
- ISTE Co-Development – Consultancy – done online
- ISTE Co-Development – Workshop – done online **
Identifying / Contacting those involved in a Similar Project
There is also an Edtech Project (led by Carolyn Sykora) that is currently being supported by various Ministries of Education in the Gulf. The project – better known as ABEGS – is designed to provide sustainable support and training for up to 1.3 million classroom teachers on the effective use of technology and digital resources for learning across the whole of the GCC.
- Facebook Groups
- Learning with Computers – https://www.facebook.com/groups/6577061586/
- TAEdTech Sig – https://www.facebook.com/groups/TAEdTech/
- Multiliteracies – https://www.facebook.com/groups/evomlit/
- Webheads in Action –https://www.facebook.com/groups/webheadsinaction/
- Learning2gether – https://www.facebook.com/groups/learning2gether/
- Google+ Communities
- Web 2.0 Teaching and Learning –https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/112197420264775820915
- Teachers for Interactive Language Learning (TILL(https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/106289715383230353120
- Webheadsinaction –https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/114550321376936920900
- MultiMOOC –https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/104523567430842485789
- EdTech Mojo –https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/110130856353339654958
- Learning2gether –https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/109504049211076695836
Earlier this week
Sun Aug 16 1400 GMT LEARNING2GETHER with Phil Hubbard and Vance Stevens on Interactive Participatory Drama and Traci Talk
Tue Aug 18 NMC Horizon Report Library Edition Rollout
August 18th @ 9am Central US Time
Ready or not, here they come! We reveal the key trends, challenges, and developments in technology that are poised to disrupt academic and research libraries worldwide in this free, virtual event.
You’re invited to the official release of the NMC Horizon Report > 2015 Library Edition — a collaboration between the NMC, University of Applied Sciences (HTW) Chur, Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) Hannover, and ETH-Bibliothek Zurich. Enjoy a front row seat to this “talk show” style event as the co-principal investigators of the project explore the findings from the report. Topics will include improving the user experience of libraries’ offerings, the evolving nature of the scholarly record, and makerspaces — among many others. Library professionals, join us to learn insights to continue advancing applications of technology at your institution.