Learning2gether Episode 215
On Sun May 4 from 1330 to 1700 GMT Learning2gether enjoyed interacting with Reform Symposium MiniCon May
Reform Symposium MiniCon May, May 4th 9:30am – 1pm EDT
This was the last half day free online event to prepare for July 11-13th official online conference.
- 13;30 GMT guest poet Chaouki M’kaddem,
- 14:00 keynote speaker Steve Wheeler
- From 15:00 GMT seven Inspire presentations
At one point you could have signed up to be an Inpire Presenter! invited to do a 3 to 5 minute presentation that either (1) gives us highlights of your RSCON4 presentation or (2) gives us a sneak peek at what you are thinking about presenting for RSCON5. Space is limited for these presentations, so sign up soon.
- 16:00 GMT Tech & App Smackdown – Share your favorite web tool or app as we celebrate our amazing presenters from 2013 and look forward to #RSCON5 on July 11-13th, 2014. Your presentation will only be 2 minutes long with 2 images as your presentation.
All this is intended to give you a sneak peek at what to expect at the annual Reform Symposium Free Online Conference (RSCON5), that will take place July 11-13th, 2014 and feature 60+presentations, 2 plenaries, 10 keynotes, student presenters, and much more.
Tech and App Smackdown text chat links and exerpts
I thought the most practical was the last event, the tech & app smackdown. LOTS of material there. I saved the txt chat with links and the recording will be worth revisiting
Peggy George – This will be a fast and furious, fun-filled session with lots of great tools and tips
Here are the tools and web sites mentioned
- http://sunrise651.edu.glogster.com/infographic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1btpzYo9U0w
- LucianeCurator @web20education – Here you can see how I use ZEEF http://bitly.com/ipadappsinmyresearchblog
- more than 300 ipad apps https://ipad-apps.zeef.com/lucian.duma
Rositsa Mineva – http://learningapps.org/
- Top 100 presentation tools / 30 ipad apps http://bitly.com/Top100Presentationapps
- LucianeCurator @web20education – Top 100 tools to present like a Pro http://bitly.com/Top100Presentationapps
- LiveSlide is a good one
- Liveslide!!! I’ve heard ipadsammie talk about that!!! amazing tool!
- great recording on teachercast about Liveslide http://techeducatorpodcast.com/40/
- A website/kids book/curriculm framework for taking action/service learning http://www.helptakeaction.com/
no red ink
https://audioboo.fm/ free apps for iPhones and Adroid phone (and tablets and iPads) and Windows phones and some Blackberries . Now allows up to 10 minutes recording time and no limit on number of recordings as far as I can see
- Shelly is the most amazing Pearltree user I know!!! I love her resources on Peartree!
educlipper https://educlipper.net/ logo creation apps
- Oro loves Voki
- Sarah Thomas @sarahdateechur – PowToon…it is my new fave
- shellyterrell @ShellTerrell – My students love Powtoon! It’s their favorite way to create
TED Talks for educators
- 50 inspiring TED TAlks for Teachers http://www.teachthought.com/learning/50-inspiring-ted-talks-teachers-challenge-eduspective/
- shellyterrell @ShellTerrell – Ted also has lesson plans for free http://ed.ted.com/
- Dragon Dictation is phenomenal…I heard they have a computer app too. Playing with it for my disseration.
- Voxopop is intersting audio tools
- http://voicebo.com/VkOWiS – it’s got a 5 minute limit I think
- http://www.spreaker.com/user/the_digital_buzz/inspiring-student-year-end-projects http://naomiharm.org/
- http://www.ipadio.com/ free apps for iPhones and Adroid phone (and tablets and iPads) AND feature phones can be used, too. Up to 60 minutes recording, no limits to number of recordings, teachers can get multiple channels and 3 minute videos.
- ipadio embed well in Edmodo!
- @pgeorge Peggy George – I really love ipadio! you can upload audio or record audio
- shellyterrell @ShellTerrell – I heard it’s recommended for Podcasts as well
Youngzine.org great lessons
Luciane Duma project with SEN students http://esafety4etwinners.blogspot.ro/
- Kahoot is a polling
- Makebelifs Comics
LucianeCurator @web20education – My Portofolio with over 1000 edtools https://lucianecurator.contently.com/
Knovio sounds interesting.
- buildyourwildself – http://www.buildyourwildself.com/
- heromachine – http://www.heromachine.com/
- Voki, http://www.voki.com/create.php
Later that day
Sun May 4 2359 UTC IHAQ#5: Why Does Sugata Mitra anger so many in education?
In Hangout with @eduquestion; https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/chss40e7i3k7h10856fjoh6gd54?authkey=CMnbpYX_7oydVg
Find more IHAQ videos at http://edtechtalk.com/
Vanessa Vaile offers
My thoughts… http://benjaminlstewart.com/the-mitra-debate-research-vs-teaching-practice/
Earlier this week
Mon Apr 28 2:00 ET – The Role of Badges in Alternative Credentialing
Monday, April 28, 2-3:00 ET: The Role of Badges in Alternative Credentialing – In response to specific employer/industry requirements and the particular needs of the adult learner, interest in new approaches to credentialing is on the rise. In December, 2013, the U.S. Dept. of Education issued a notice inviting suggestions for new experiments for the Experimental Sites Initiative. The notice expressed particular interest in competency-based education programs and prior learning assessment for postsecondary education. This session will investigate various ways that open badges provide the basis for alternative credentialing programs.
Presented by Anne Derryberry, Producer, Designer, and Advisor at Sage Road Solutions
From the MOOC on badges: badges.coursesites.com
How to Join the Live Sessions
To join the live sessions, use the following Blackboard Collaborate Web Conference link: http://tinyurl.com/OpenBadgesCollaborate
Live sessions are the last Monday of each month at 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm ET
For April 28, here is your local time: (forthcoming)
Mon Apr 28 Events announced on LearningRevolution
Monday, April 28th at the American Museum of Natural History, NYC YouthCaN 2014, YouthCaN is a global youth-run organization co-sponsored by iEARN that uses technology to inspire, connect and educate people about environmental issues facing the planet. Every year at our annual conference at the American Museum of Natural History, YouthCaN groups from around the world present and/or attend environmental science-related workshops. The date for the YouthCaN New York City Conference is April 28, 2014 at the American Museum of Natural History. More information here.
Monday, April 28th in Pacific Palisades, CA Tips & Tools to Tech Up Your Teaching, Today’s educators are tasked with integrating technology in the curriculum to enhance student learning and advance 21st century skills, but, with myriad of tools and educational applications to choose from, it can be a daunting task for already busy teachers. This professional development workshop is designed to help jump-start meaningful technology integration with ideas, resources, and teaching tips. More information here.
For a full calendar of all upcoming events and conferences, click here.
Wed Apr 30 More SLMOOC14 sessions scheduled through Apr 30, 2014
This one at 1800 GMT
This one at 1900 GMT
Thu May 1 Curt Bonk on MOOCs, Flipping, and Microcredentials
Note: This session is designed specifically for trade and professional associations.
Thu May 1 Reinventing the Classroom online conference
Reinventing the Classroom, May 1st, 2014
is about “how ed tech is reshaping the classroom experience.” This is a free event bringing together classroom educators and innovators from around the world, being held Thursday, May 1st (May 2nd in some time zones). The entire conference takes place online in a webinar format, and specifically encourages teachers to share their best practices with their peers.
Ed Tech Month + PowerUp WHAT WORKS. We’re boldly declaring that May is Ed Tech Month – kicking off with Reinventing the Classroom, and followed by a month long webinar series presented by PowerUp WHAT WORKS. Topics include: Personalize Your Math Professional Development, Learn About Differentiated Instruction and UDL, Personalize Your ELA Professional Development, and more. PD certificates will be available through the Learning Revolution. PLUS you can host your own Ed Tech Month event(s) using our Host Your Own Webinar program, and share local events using #edtechmonth. Visit www.edtechmonth.com for more information.
Be sure to check out the incredible lineup of keynotes and distinguished speakers: Travis Allen, Steve Anderson,Barnett Barry, Vicki Davis, Howie DiBlasi, Julie Evans, Troy Hicks, Rushton Hurley, Bill Kist, Gary Lopez, Anne Mirtschin, Jeff Piontek, Shelly Sanchez Terrell, and Nicole Tucker-Smith.
May 1, Alexander Hayes interviews Stephen Downes on wearable technology
Sat May 3 0900 PT Classroom 2.0 LIVE – Swaroop Raju and eduCanon
Visit Classroom 2.0 at: http://www.classroom20.com/?xg_source=msg_mes_network