Learning2gether Episode 424
Just prior to this event, I announced it this way:
It seems like the last one was only yesterday, but it’s almost time for another #learning2gether free online event. Episode 424 takes place at noon UTC today, when Hanaa Khamis interviews Georgios Chatzis, past chair of TESOL Greece as the second of September’s #NileTESOL #PD_Committee and #LTSIG webinar series. This time the topic is
The music of our humanity: Using YouTube videos to highlight social problems
about the DE-desensitization of the YouTube generation to social issues
Where? Zoom Meeting
YouTube recording: https://youtu.be/973kk9s_dpk
After the event, Georgios provided us with a list of YouTube links expanding on
topics he mentioned in his presentation, and more:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dikG4vMJG1s Astronauts Answer 50 of the Most Googled Space Questions | WIRED
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xICkLB3vAeU Chris Hadfield – Nail Clipping in Space
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE4HsMi3KoU Chris Hadfield answers questions live from space with the Governor General of Canada
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6rHHnABoT8 Astronaut Chris Hadfield Debunks Space Myths | WIRED
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo62S0ulqhA What I learned from going blind in space | Chris Hadfield
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usRYa_dpPFU Canadians Converse About Life in Space
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_G7KyJG57Q Hadfield Chats with Hadfield School Students Back Home
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvTmdIhYnes&t=2709s ONE OF THE MOST DETAILED ISS TOUR
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUIa685ETgo&t=609s Station Commander Shares Science with Students
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeA7edXsU40 We Are NASA
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CXDrNyt-iM Moonlight (Clair de Lune) updated 4K version
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJhgZBn-LHg How Earth Moves
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjHpjSpC5m0&t=182s Neil deGrasse Tyson: We Went to the Moon & Discovered the Earth
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSoRx87OO6k First Man – Official Trailer
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tf8MaKYhfw First Man Moon Landing Scene
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9gDpSajPl4 First Man (2018) – Crater Bracelet Scene – IMAX BluRay
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3620qLCsbE FIRST MAN Theremin Theme
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKtkX29vIjo James May’s 20th Century: The Theremin (with Ms Hypnotique)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoPK_zj85Jw&t=29s FIRST MAN | Justin Hurwitz Featurette
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXTML_0DBDM&t=1056s First Man on the Moon: The Real Neil Armstrong | History Documentary | Reel Truth History
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp_RDqPQ-qg The Daring Adventure of Apollo 8 in 1968
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e2AnpbGLqw Apollo’s Space Mission – Space Documentary 2019 [HD]
Queen – Live Aid
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp0i2wnn4nQ BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY FILM CASTS versus REAL LIFE CHARACTERS
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdZ_ef3O8xI Queen Radio GaGa Lyrics
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP0VHJYFOAU Bohemian Rhapsody | Official Trailer [HD] | 20th Century FOX
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lURg3kxso2s The Queen’s Guard perform incredible Bohemian Rhapsody cover!
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltOxVumTcEM Queen-Interview Before Live Aid 1985! HD
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A22oy8dFjqc Queen – Live at LIVE AID 1985/07/13
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJl76cYu2o8 Documentary l Live Aid Against All Odds l Part 1 of 2
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc032W5KHko&t=3509s Live Aid Against All Odds Documentary (Part 2 of 2)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMjuHbCupuM The Making Of Bohemian Rhapsody Movie Behind The Scenes
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgAvxvDRg6c FACTS you should know about CONCORDE! Episode 1 by CAPTAIN JOE
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guKF2Wydct0&t=622s FACTS you should know about CONCORDE! Episode 2 by CAPTAIN JOE
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3gRIVJ_p9U FACTS you should know about CONCORDE! Episode 3 by CAPTAIN JOE
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ8ZHilxdm8 Duettino Sull’aria Le nozze di Figaro
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hB3S9bIaco The Shawshank Redemption – Trailer – (1994) – HQ
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjqmg_7J53s&t=51s (HD) The Shawshank Redemption (Mozart Opera Scene)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPXeiS1tzr4 Morgan Freeman Re-Enacts The Shawshank Redemption | The Graham Norton Show
Video Editing How to Videos
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSQ-1ZSVPZw Movie Maker Tutorial 2019 – FULL CLASS!!! (for Absolute Beginners)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXr_kzfnCM4 Movie Maker Tutorial | Learn Movie Maker in 9 minutes
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ru2YZvHUc4 Windows 10 Free Video Editor
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udyaRKX1ZQg iMovie 2018 – Full Tutorial for Beginners – 16 MINUTES! [+General Overview]
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc6H881T0_k iMovie 2018 FULL CLASS!!!
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sOxojlWTao iMovie Tutorial for Beginners
Eman EL Difrawy : Hello George
Georgios Chatzis : hello!
Vance Stevens : hi we need to keep everyone on MUTE mic until you wish talk.
Vance Stevens : hi Lilika
Lilika Couri : Hi Vance
Hanaa Khamis : Shawshank Redemption movie
Vance Stevens : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shawshank_Redemption
Hanaa Khamis : thx vance
Vance Stevens : 🙂
In this 5 min. 36 sec. snippet Hanaa notes that she is not herself a great opera fan and how then does George make an opera like Mozart’s Marriage of Figaro appeal to his students.
Hanaa Khamis : feel free to post Qs or raise a hand at any point dear audience
Eman EL Difrawy : Sure Dr.Hanaa
Eman EL Difrawy : Loved their Words
Hanaa Khamis : yes
Eman EL Difrawy : How creative!
Eman EL Difrawy : Wow!
Eman EL Difrawy : How do you let them interested as some of our students are not interested in social issues?
Hanaa asked George how he managed to make movies like the Shawshank Redemption relevant to his students. This snippet is 6 min 09 seconds. George mentions the element of surprise in his answer, and how this piques their curiosity
Lilika Couri : George in actuality uses the real function of EFL teaching by enabling his learners develop as sensitive and responsible individuals, aware of the various social issues.
Hanaa Khamis : Eman n lilika u r next
Likika took the mic and spoke about George’s impact his students and on his audience at the most recent Greece TESOL Conference. This segment is 3 min. long
Hanaa Khamis : Eman u go next
Eman EL Difrawy : Yes,I attended this one.My eyes was full of tears.
Vance Stevens : Eman would you like to comment or ask a question?
Hanaa Khamis : Yes she is, Greta Thunberg, climate activist
Hanaa Khamis : Noah Trevor interviewed her
Hanaa Khamis : oxymoron
Hanaa Khamis : Student Conference: How yr profession can help by 2030
Hanaa Khamis : Eman, Ask away
Hanaa Khamis : Stephen Krashen
Hanaa Khamis : A personal story
Eman EL Difrawy : Do you ask them to use the grammar or vocabulary point you are teaching to comment on the videos?
Lilika Couri : I’d like to say something.
Hanaa Khamis : Sure Lilika, u go next
Eman EL Difrawy : Thank you so much George! So happy to talk to u again. When is your next webinar. What about coming to present in Egypt.
Hanaa Khamis : any further comments Eman?
Eman EL Difrawy : No Thank you.
Hanaa Khamis : Would u like to add to the wrapup Lilika?
Vance Stevens : as in David Crystal’s book Txtng: the Gr8 Db8, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Txtng:_the_Gr8_Db8
Hanaa asked me to go back to this reference later in the conversation, and she extracted a 3 min. 42 sec. snippet from the longer video where I did that and uploaded it to YouTube:
Lilika Couri : No, thank you, Hanaa. I believe I said what I felt was important re. George’s ideas and work.
Lilika Couri : Love your shirt, Vance.
Hanaa Khamis : Thx:-)
Vance Stevens : https://edpuzzle.com/
Eman EL Difrawy : Thank you so much
Lilika Couri : Thank you, Hanaa and Vance.
Mohamed Nagah : Thank you George for this informative webinar!
Georgios Chatzis : Thank you all!
Eman EL Difrawy : Thank you!
Lilika Couri : George, dear. Thank you. See you soon.
Georgios Chatzis : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYGd-llxHJE
Eman EL Difrawy : yes please.we need more webniars
Vance Stevens : https://learning2gether.net/2019/09/28/nile-tesol-ltsig-webinar-hanaa-khamis-interviews-lilika-couri-on-whether-or-not-to-teach-literature/
Eman EL Difrawy : Thank you George for sharing!
Mohamed Nagah : We will need a tutorial later
I don’t usually say much during the webinars so Hanaa has taken to check if I’ve been listening by asking me to do a wrap-up toward the end. She made a video snippet of this one, 4 min 44 seconds.
Announcements on Facebook Groups
- EVO Multiliteracies MOOC – https://www.facebook.com/groups/evomlit/
- Learning2gether – https://www.facebook.com/groups/learning2gether/
- Learning with Computers – https://www.facebook.com/groups/6577061586/
- NileTESOL Official Learning Technologies (LTSIG) – https://www.facebook.com/groups/1819840121584656/
- Online Teaching – https://www.facebook.com/groups/101863643236562/
- TESOL Arabia Ed Tech SIG – https://www.facebook.com/groups/TAEdTech/
- Webheads in Action – https://www.facebook.com/groups/webheadsinaction/
Vance’s tweet: https://twitter.com/VanceS/status/1178213633798492163
Sat Sept 28 1200 UTC – Learning2gether 423 with Nile TESOL LTSIG Webinar – Hanaa Khamis interviews Lilika Couri
The fourth annual Virtual Worlds MOOC (VWMOOC19) will take place from September 1-30, 2019. The theme of the current MOOC is peace through learning and connecting online for instruction and learning via web technologies such as Second Life and Virtual Worlds. The MOOC will focus on connecting online for collaborative learning and teaching around the world through Virtual Worlds.
Sign up to access the live sessions, reflect, and receive a free certificate here: https://moodle4teachers.org/course/view.php?id=114
To SEE the live sessions, check out the YouTube playlist
Ann von Rhein (avatar in SL)
and the Origin team in Open Sim
Ramesh Origin and John Origin will welcome you.
(Click on the title to access the live Zoom session if you can’t join us in Kitely)
Join us to explore a completely new way of creating learning environments in minutes without any knowledge of building or coding.
We will present 5 example Apps, small focused applications, assembled using our application building blocks.
These example Apps will demonstrate the effectiveness of our approach for enabling educators to focus on educational content creation rather than on the laborious building of virtual environments.
The environments that will be presented have been created to illustrate the application of our tools across various learning domains. Attendees will also discover that our approach is relevant for Business and Entertainment applications as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxW2OyuFtPY
Attendees will win a Garden creation App and a presentation App. The tour will end with a short hands-on practice session in which attendees will be able to create their own virtual learning environments and save the work as a file that they can import for reuse later.
Meeting point is Kitely welcome center from where we will hypergrid to our RezMela Grid.
It is recommended to make a Kitely avatar beforehand in order to travel safely.
HG Kitely welcome center: grid.kitely.com:8002:Kitely Welcome Center
HG RezMela Grid: ( Link will be added later.)
Please register with your RL name and avatar name until September 26th with an IM to TR5 in SL. Further tours upon request, the sim will stay open until October 15th.
3 PM EST
3 am in Malaysia next day
3.30 PM EST
Closing Ceremony(Click on the title to access the live Zoom session if you can’t join us in Second Life)
Looking ahead to VWMOOC20
Location for the dance:http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Madhupak/209/245/91
The Chilbo Nature & Sculpture Garden