Learning2gether Episode 106
Sunday, May 27, 2012: in Google Hangout, recorded on YouTube:
- Alternatively https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYarruF-0Eg
Shandin Pete and Robert Squires will introduce Education Across Cultures, a graduate-level open online course in multicultural education offered through The University of Montana.
Education across Cultures is a 7 week online course that runs from Monday, June 11 – Friday, July 27, 2012. The course is designed for those interested in multicultural education and promoting understanding and respect for diverse cultures in the design and delivery of educational experiences. It is a Masters level course in Curriculum and Instruction at The University of Montana that may be taken as part of an advanced degree or just for personal interest (non-credit). A variety of social media tools will be used to foster interaction and learning. The course will be designed and delivered in Moodle.
On completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Recognize historical, economic, psychological, and social factors that have influenced present day social conditions for many culturally diverse groups in the United States;
- Analyze current issues in multicultural education through investigating definitions of culture and diversity and its importance for the global educational system;
- Appraise the current application of multicultural education in the U.S. Education system;
- Create a work-plan for promoting social justice in a particular institutional context;
- Critically evaluate their personal values on multicultural education.
No need to buy anything. Just bring yourself and your interests. Readings, resources, tools will be provided. Scheduled sessions will include thought leaders in the field.
The participants were involved in similar courses:
- Aiden: http://www.waseda.jp/dcc/jcc/we1/index.html
- Laine: http://ling.mdl.gnomio.com/course/view.php?id=4 (use Guest access)
How do you start a hangout? How do people find you?
Somehow, they do :-s